Regret is a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc. It is a negative cognitive or emotional state that involves blaming ourselves for a bad outcome, feeling a sense of loss or sorrow at what might have been, or wishing we could undo a previous choice that we made. For young people, in particular, regret, although painful to experience but can be helpful emotion.
Regret scored the highest of all negative emotions in the five functions of emotions- To help in making sense of the world, avoid future behaviors, gain insight, achieve social harmony, and improve approach. In this way regret can be helpful in making decisions as we fear making wrong decisions thus pay more attention to decision making.
But personally, Regret is the worst emotion that one can have. It significantly affects happiness because it often causes people to feel shame, sadness, or remorse about decisions. Sometimes it can contribute to depression.
Dead people receive more flowers than living ones because regret is stronger than gratitude.
Appreciating the small things requires only a small portion of your time, while regret will consume the remainder of what’s left, leaving you incapable of appreciating the moments going forward.
Try to pay more gratitude towards what you have in life. It will help in creating a feeling of happiness or joy in your life. Opposite to that, if you ignore or take things from a negative point of view you will always be left with regret that will affect your future and can cause a depression too.
Here we are sharing the ways to avoid regret in your life-
· Don’t follow someone else’s dreams. You can’t please everyone and should look to only please yourself and do what is right for you.
· Stop taking your loved ones for granted. Make sure to endeavor to spend a moment with your family and appreciate them while you still have the opportunity to do so.
· Stop pretending to be someone else. The most inspiring people in the world are true to themselves and when you are true to yourself, you will be at ease.
· Don’t burn all your bridges. Life is a journey of ups and downs, and you will have to be kind to people on your way up because you will meet them on your way down. Don’t burn the bridges of your past as you may need them later in life.
· Make others happy. Strive to make people happy and you will be happy yourself. A mind crisis is mainly made up of regrets and one way to alleviate this regret is to find a way to make people's lives better.
· Stand up for yourself. Many people have regrets for not standing up for themselves when they had the opportunity to do so. So, you need to stand up for yourself.
Regret can be your worst feeling. Try these ways we mentioned above to escape from regret feeling. Always remember to live in the moment and don’t wait for the time to come. If you have a dream, chase it otherwise you will always come second who has taken the initiative to do something and you will then regret it.
“All I have is all I need and all I need is all I have in this moment”- Byron Katie.
Take your time to experience the now as you may regret it later in the future when you look into the mirror and ask where all the time went. So better to live and feel the moment than regretting later.